A quick look at a blank map of Russia will show that this country is gigantic. By surface area, Russia is the largest country on the planet.
It covers about 10% of all land surface. With its vast size, it spans eleven time zones.
It is part of the European and the Asian continent and has coasts on the Arctic, Atlantic, and Pacific Oceans.
In the west, Russia borders the countries of Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, and Norway. Between Lithuania and Poland is Kaliningrad Oblast, which is also Russian territory.
On the southern border of Russia are North Korea, Mongolia, China, and Kazakhstan. Russia shares sea borders with Sweden, Japan, and the American state of Alaska.
In the west, the broad European Plain forms part of the European Continent. This plain is sometimes called the Volga River Plain.
It ranges from the Ural Mountains in the east all the way to the European borders in the west.
Large, highly fertile areas sit in the center and south of Russia. Besides cultivated ground, there are also large marshes and treeless plains, or steppes.
The large forests in this part of the country consist mainly of coniferous trees.
Siberia is an area full of frozen tundra. Visitors can admire the rolling hills, the plateaus, and dispersed mountain ranges.
The largest mountains and mountain ranges are primarily located in the southwest, southeast, and east of the country. In the southwest of Russia is the Caucasus mountain range.
Also, Russia’s highest mountain, Mount Elbrus, is located here. It measures 18,481 feet or 5,633 meters.
In the map above, an upside-down yellow triangle indicates its location.
Russia’s capital is Moscow.
The total surface area of Russia is around 17,098,242 square kilometers. This is almost twice the size of the United States.
Russia is the biggest country on earth.
The demonym for the inhabitants of Russia is Russian. Even though by area size it is the largest country in the world, measured by the number of people it ranks only ninth.
The number of inhabitants in July 2010 was 139,390,205.
The largest cities in order of size are:
- The capital, Moscow
- Saint Petersburg
Russia is a republic that is further subdivided into smaller entities. There are 46 oblasts, 21 republics, four autonomous okrugs, nine krays, two federal cities, and one autonomous oblast.
Russia’s national holiday is celebrated on the twelfth of June. Russia separated from what was then the USSR, or the Soviet Union, on August 24, 1991.
Russian is the official language in Russia.
- Russian Orthodox: 15-20%
- Muslim 10-15%
- Other Christians 2%.
- Oblasts: Amur (Blagoveshchensk), Arkhangel’sk, Astrakhan’, Belgorod, Bryansk, Chelyabinsk, Irkutsk, Ivanovo, Kaliningrad, Kaluga, Kemerovo, Kirov, Kostroma, Kurgan, Kursk, Leningrad, Lipetsk, Magadan, Moscow, Murmansk, Nizhniy Novgorod, Novgorod, Novosibirsk, Omsk, Orenburg, Orel, Penza, Pskov, Rostov, Ryazan’, Sakhalin (Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk), Samara, Saratov, Smolensk, Sverdlovsk (Yekaterinburg), Tambov, Tomsk, Tula, Tver’, Tyumen’, Ul’yanovsk, Vladimir, Volgograd, Vologda, Voronezh, Yaroslavl’.
- Republics: Adygeya (Maykop), Altay (Gorno-Altaysk), Bashkortostan (Ufa), Buryatiya (Ulan-Ude), Chechnya (Groznyy), Chuvashiya (Cheboksary), Dagestan (Makhachkala), Ingushetiya (Magas), Kabardino-Balkariya (Nal’chik), Kalmykiya (Elista), Karachayevo-Cherkesiya (Cherkessk), Kareliya (Petrozavodsk), Khakasiya (Abakan), Komi (Syktyvkar), Mariy-El (Yoshkar-Ola), Mordoviya (Saransk), North Ossetia (Vladikavkaz), Sakha [Yakutiya] (Yakutsk), Tatarstan (Kazan’), Tyva (Kyzyl), Udmurtiya (Izhevsk).
- Autonomous Okrugs: Chukotka (Anadyr’), Khanty-Mansi-Yugra (Khanty-Mansiysk), Nenets (Nar’yan-Mar), Yamalo-Nenets (Salekhard).
- Krays: Altay (Barnaul), Kamchatka (Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy), Khabarovsk, Krasnodar, Krasnoyarsk, Perm’, Primorskiy [Maritime] (Vladivostok), Stavropol’, Zabaykal’sk [Transbaikal] (Chita).
- Federal cities: Moscow [Moskva], Saint Petersburg [Sankt-Peterburg].
- Autonomous Oblast: Yevreyskaya [Jewish] (Birobidzhan).
Blank Maps of Russia
SVG vector map of Russia
MapSVG offers an excellent blank vector map of Russia that is usable as-is. An additional tool is the MapSVG WordPress map plugin.
This plugin allows the user to modify the map and add interactive elements to it.
Blank Map of Russia – Gray
Map of federal subjects, municipal districts, and urban okrugs of Russia
Asia North Equidistant Conic projection (EPSG: 102026). WSG84 datum. Central meridian: 95°E. Standard parallels: 15°N and 65°N. Latitude of origin: 30°N. Scale 1:6 000 000 (1 sm = 60 km). Simplify tolerance: 0,01 (all irregularities of the lines less than 0,01° ≈ 1 km are smoothed).
Printable Map Of Russia
Russia blank map
Blank Printable Russia Outline Map
Basic vector map of Russia in gray with white borders
Location map of Russia
Russia Satellite Image Blank
Physical Blank Map of Russia
Blank Map of Russia 2 Colors
Blank Map of Russia in Color
Russia Blank Map Transparent png
Map of Russia with 1st level administrative boundaries
A blank map of Russia that shows the highest level administrative boundaries. Displayed in the equirectangular projection, also called equidistant cylindrical projection or plate carrée.
For better appearance, it has been stretched vertically 1.5 times.
Federal Subjects of Russia Blank Map
A paper cutout of the shape of pre-WWI Russia
Blank map of Russia-gray
Map of Russia with the subjects, situation before first merging of Subjects Nov. 2005
Map of Russia with merged subjects
This map shows the latest changes in administrative areas. This includes the 2008 merger of the Irkutskaya and Ust-Orda oblasts.
The subjects are grouped and tagged accordingly.
Blank Map of Russia with Latitudes
Map showing Russia without federal borders
Outline of Russian Borders
Russia Country Map
Blank Map of Russian Hydrography
Blank Map of Russia with Neighboring Countries
Blank Map of Russia with Names of Neighboring Countries
Blank Map of Russia Blue
Blank Map of Russian Districts
Names of Russian Districts
Blank Map of Russia with Main Cities
Blank Map of Administrative Borders in Russia
Blank Map of Russian Federal Subjects
Map of Russia in Colors
Russian Federation contour map
Transparent Map of Russia With Administrative Borders
Vector Map of Russia with Names of Federal Subjects
Vector Map of Russia With Locations of Main Cities
Map of Russia With Names of Main Cities
Vector Map of Russia In Green Color with Transparent Background
Boundaries, hydrography, main cities, names (white)
Boundaries, federal subjects, main cities location
Flag Map of Russia
Administrative Division of Russia
Russian Districts in Different Colors
Custom map of Russia
Blank Map of Russian Federal Subjects in Different Colors
Outline, federal subjects, names, color
Transparent Outline Map of Russia
If you enjoyed reading this article with vector maps of Russia, you should read these as well: